10-minute stories

These days, the moments of my life are happening chunk by chunk, specifically, 10 minutes by 10 minutes. That's because that's what's comprising my days right now: 22 10-minute classes with 22 Korean students. This is my current job.

What's interesting about this is that my stories with them happen within the ten minutes I have with them. It isn't much, and maybe, most of the time, there isn't anything much, but sometimes, a moment arises within those ten minutes.

A moment happens...like when your student laughs at your rendition of the Popeye jingle, like when your student feels your vaguely hurt silence after he commented about how men can't help but look at other women, and like when your student indicates that he would like to keep you as his teacher (at least that could be a sign that he is enjoying his English classes). It can make you smile sometimes...especially when you think about your role as a teacher. I think I can be sure there is real communication happening right there.

If anyone would ask me what makes me get up at 3:45 in the morning in order to get to my workplace, I would say it's my students. It's the assumption of my role as their teacher and the understanding that I have a certain relationship with them. They expect ME to call. They WAIT for my call. And as in any relationship, there needs to be trust and reliability. Or else forget about rapport or camaraderie.

I know I'll be leaving. If not sooner, then later. But at the very least, I would like for all of us in the boat to each enjoy our 10 English minutes with each other.

Bow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

conceit and humility :)

random misadventures