a favorite day at work

One of my favorite days at work was the day of my last class with Jay.

Our topic for the day had been about Tribute Bands. In case you haven't heard, Tribute Bands are bands formed with the express purpose of imitating the sound and style of certain notable musical groups as a sign of worship of those groups. (Imitation is the best kind of flattery.^_^) Anyway, so while we were in the middle of our topic discussion, I asked Jay if he sings and I tried to get him to sing a song. Being a very clever man, he turned the tables on me and suggested that I be the one to sing tunes sang by such imitated groups as ABBA and the Beatles. Knowing I couldn't hit the note in Dancing Queen, I laughingly resisted while insisting to Jay that he sing. Finally, I laid down the ultimatum on the table and said, "Well, if you're not singing, NO ONE is singing in this class."

To my surprise, Jay started singing a simple ditty. It was a Korean song, and he explained to me its meaning as follows:

"The lyrics mean," he said, "I am so glad that I met you. I am so glad to hold you and touch you..."

I smiled to myself, thinking of his wife.

"Was that song for your wife?" I asked.

"Maybe," he replied enigmatically.

Before we ended the call, I smilingly told him that I hoped that he would forget that I was supposed to sing the next day.

"We'll see," was all he said.

The next day came. I decided to be teasing, pretending I had all but forgotten yesterday's goings-on at class. I didn't get away with it, however. Jay would not let me forget my promise to sing if he did. And he had.

So I did a Taylor Swift:

We were both young when I first saw you
I closed my eyes and the flashback starts
I'm standing there on a balcony in summer air...


He was a bit speechless after I did my bit. It was probably funny. And he was probably thinking, "That...was terrible. Why in the world didn't you just tell me that you really couldn't sing?!"

(Laughing out loud.)

Anyway, it was a great ending to a great month. Many thanks for the smiles, songs, and laughter, Jay!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

conceit and humility :)

random misadventures