random misadventures

I lamented to my boardmates before: My Korean students don't laugh at my jokes. I pouted.

"What jokes?" they asked.

"Well," I explained. "My student and I were discussing an article about superstitions. And I asked him if he was superstitious. He said yes. And he said that he believes in dreams and that if one night he would have an awful dream, that he would absent himself from work the next day. And then I said to him:

You know what, James, I'm superstitious too."

"Really," he asked.

"Yes," I affirmed. "I believe it is bad luck to believe in superstition."

Silence. I waited for laughter. Nada. I smiled to myself.

"I was just joking," I reassured him. "Anyway, going back to our discussion..."

And another time, a student shared with me that he jumped rope for exercise 500 times a day and that he was presently aiming to raise the bar to a thousand jumps.

"Wow!" I commended him. "That's amazing!"

And then I continued, "So Sky, can I ask you something?"

"Sure," he said.

"How do you count your jumps? Like 1, 2, 3 or like 10, 20, 30...?" I let my voice trail off. I was teasing my student about his jumps.

Silence...

After a long pause, Sky replied quietly, "1, 2, 3."

I laughed noiselessly to myself. "Moving on..." I said gaily, not quite able to keep the laughter out of my voice.

Hahaha! :p


Footnotes:

1) I don't remember where in his writings exactly but I attribute the saying "It is bad luck to believe in superstition" as a joke originally made by Bo Sanchez. ^_^

Comments

  1. Hahaha!!Salamat Kuya Nikki! I was so tempted na ako na lang mag-comment sa post na ito!!kc benta sakin jokes ko eh!!! "Benta!Benta!" sulat ko sana...kaso dya-he eh...di bale...salamat!!!:)

    btw, Kuya Nikki, just wanted to say lang here: i just wanted to express my admiration for the niceness you show to me and to others. salamat. i think they'd be one with me if i say we all appreciate it. anyway, impressed na impressed ako. ipagpatuloy mo sana. more power! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no, you're the one who's kind. at ang galing mo pa mambola. ginaganahan tuloy ako magsulat. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

conceit and humility :)

valentines 2011