Time

If there’s anything Time Magazine has taught me, it’s that I don’t value the things I don’t work hard for, or at least those things which cost me nothing – no effort, no pain, no part of myself.

I started regularly purchasing a Time Magazine for my own mental and educational consumption when I entered the university and for as long as I remember, I seem to have been always perennially casting the magazine longing glances every time I would pass them by – in National Bookstore, Fullybooked, Seven Eleven, Rustan’s Supermarket in Katipunan…wherever.

Last year, Lala and I thought to share a subscription for the magazine. (Hey, weren’t there some freebie involved? Did they deliver?)

So for a year, the two of us received every issue of Time Magazine that we wished for. And was it heaven? Hell, no. We felt inundated. We could barely keep up with the reading. The subscription has expired already and we still haven’t gotten around to finishing our backlog of outdated Time magazines.

For some reason, I didn’t read as diligently as I thought and planned I would. I had told myself that it was for my continuing education. After all, graduation is not known as a commencement exercise for nothing. It was supposed to mark a new beginning, not a final ending.

And now that we’re bereft of the subscription, I find myself back at it again – casting longing glasses at them glossy Time Magazine covers promising to answer the question about whether America is really Islamophobic or to unveil the reasons why the Japanese nation will find it extremely difficult to change…and why they must.

When Lala and I obtained the subscription, we had agreed to split the cost and share each magazine in turn. I used my allowance to pay for my half. But I guess a catch was there. You see, it wasn’t my money. It wasn’t money I worked hard for. That must have been why I didn’t value that subscription as much as I thought I would. Maybe it was just too easy. Easy come, easy go.

This leads me to my next thought and this I say with no small trepidation. I think it’s time to take easy away from me. Because I won’t grow if it’s always easy. Because I won’t find myself if it’s always easy. Because it’ll be meaningless if it’s always easy.

Kaya ko ‘to. I know I have it in me.

Anyway, I gotta go. I have a Time Magazine to finish. :p

Comments

  1. This is so true. Easy come, easy go talaga. Ganyan din nangyari (and I think nangyayari pa rin) sa akin. Life seemed too easy. Dalawa naging realization ko ron.

    1. I was staying inside my comfort zone. I needed to extend myself so I could improve.

    2. The good side of it was that it also meant that I was leveraging on my strengths.

    Siguro, we should strike a balance between extending ourselves and leveraging on our strengths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! :) thanks Kuya Nikki! More power! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

conceit and humility :)

random misadventures