fireflies

There are supposed to be other things that I've scheduled myself to write right now but I'm in no mood to write them.

Right now, I'm in the process of taking down the current "liner note" I have on this blog which is "I slept in castles and fell in love because I was taught to dream." It's from a song by Faith Hill - Fireflies - and I love it so much.

However, as of the moment, I want to replace it with something else.

But the line is so nice that I want to write a tribute blogpost to it. Actually, I think this year, I'm going to be pretty much writing tributary posts about people and things that inspire me. If those are the things that are filling my head right now, then I think my blogging is going to somehow manifest them.

Taylor Swift once told The New Yorker that one of the best musical experiences is when you're hearing a song by someone singing about their life and it resembles yours so much that you feel comforted. In my case, when I heard this song, I not only felt comforted, I also felt affirmed and understood. I think it's because as a reader, you live with one foot in reality and the other in this make-believe world authors and readers create for themselves. You sleep in castles and you fall in love and you are taught to dream when you read.

When you're a writer, one of the things that become important to you is having your words matter not just to yourself but to others as well. This song was actually written by Lori McKenna. By way of saying thank you to her for having written this, I'm going to put here some verses from the song. Here they are:

Fireflies

Before you met me,
I was a fairy princess.
I caught frogs and called them prince
and made myself a queen.

Before you knew me,
I'd travelled 'round the world.
I slept in castles and fell in love
because I was taught to dream.

I found mayonnaise bottles
and poked holes on top
to capture Tinkerbell.

They were just fireflies to the untrained eye,
but I could always tell.

I believe in fairy tales
and dreamers' dreams like bedsheet sails.
And I believe in Peter Pan
and miracles,
anything I can to get by.
And fireflies.

:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

valentines 2011

conceit and humility :)