watching cinderella's sister

I'm having a marathon of Cinderella's Sister episodes right now and though I'd like to tackle this topic properly, I'd like to just talk for now.

I know why I watch Cinderella's Sister. They say that we humans, being rational beings, usually have a reason for everything we do, even if it's just a simple pacing back and forth. When I take the time to think about it, I usually find my answers for doing what it is I do. In this case, watching Cinderella's Sister, the reason is clear to me.

It was the first episode that hooked me. Cinderella's sister, Eun-jo, was sullen, angry, disillusioned, yearnful of running away, and continually sporting a fight face or an uncaring one that I found was somehow, at times, like me. Watching her, and how she angrily interacts with the people around her, and rejects them at times, I understand her. I find myself not just watching an interesting character. I find myself knowing her. I know what goes on behind her exterior demeanor. I understand the reason why. For some reason, I grasp the interior spaces in her heart behind her angry scenes. Not to say that I am totally her or that I am totally like her. Just that I get her. I can imagine. I know, if only a little.

And when I look at how Ki-hoon first treats her, I smile. And I think, "Don't give up on her 'cause she needs you."

And then Ki-hoon reveals to her why he persistently reaches out to her that way: The reason why I'm doing this is because when I first came here, I was once like you. [But after spending some time here]...I am now...like me. He grins.

And for some reason, I know Eun-jo's story is in there, in what Ki-hoon said. Her story is in how she gets from being like her...to being like she really is.

And so I watch her for her story. Because it's my story as well. How I get out from being a little like her, to being a lot more like me. How the reel character that she is and the real character that I am journey from that one point to the other. And because life follows a formula based on principles that remain true over the ages and across cultures, I know what that journey is to consist of - kindness, patience, love, and a whole lot of right choices mediating in between. People. Their names. Written on the notes of our lives.

I scouted the series beforehand and wikipedia disclosed that it's a story of redemption and growth. But I'm still in episode 10, so I'm still in the thick of the struggle for it. And as I progress from one episode to another, I admit to hoping to progress to my own necessary and extremely vital growth as well. And I wonder about my own redemption too, though I realize I need not worry about that really.

But this is getting long, and I need to end, so I'll leave us all with a reason to engage in stories, whether it be books, telenovelas, or narratives we share with each other: That stories help us to maintain contact with our hearts, and while some stories deceive, others tell the truth about ourselves and the human condition, and it accomplishes this most humanizing of tasks by taking us both inside ourselves and outside to others.*

That said, goodnight. Let's engage in stories more, and come to find ourselves out more in the end. :)

*paraphrased from Gregory Marshall's Shaped By Stories: The Ethical Power of Narratives

Comments

  1. As always, beautifully written, and well thought of. You really do have a gift.

    Thank you for sharing yourself: your realizations, the things you watch, your thoughts, your story.

    There is something very human about sharing and story-telling. It touches lives. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kuya, thank you. It means something to me, coming from you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

conceit and humility :)

random misadventures