"Oh! Look at the moon!"

my nephew, Renz, recited to me over the phone an hour ago. I silently laughed to myself as Renz apparently held the phone in his hands and seriously declaimed his haiku to me over the line. You should have heard it. It was so cute.

My mother was calling me about going home for a family reunion, Cajeta side. I heard my nephew coughing while I was talking to ma as he waited for his chance to recite his memorized poem.

It was supposedly the same haiku that my mother had me memorize when I was young, a little more than a year old. She mentioned this to me because I had commented that I found my nephew Renz quite smarter than me. I already know my plans for this nephew: Harvard. Yale. Or Princeton. Law. Haha!

By the way, Renz was conferred first honors in his school. My other nephew, Roru, was proclaimed fourth in his own school. The former was also Best in Reading. My family was delighted to hear the news.

I remember last Christmas I was going to text Lala about the highlight of that time. Come the eve before Christmas, the two tots were already tearing all their gift-wrapped presents apart. Renz was given a gift from Roru, Roru was given one in return from Renz. Then they were told to kiss each other Thank You.

"Kiss, kiss," we encouraged them.

The two tots turned towards each other, and leaning forward, gave each other a hearty smack on the lips. We laughed. It was a REAL Kodak moment. I wish I could have snapped a picture just then so I'd have something to torment them with when they grow older.

Renz has more of his funny moments. Rumor has it that he has a crush on one of his classmates. She has long hair. Awww...Is this something like Little Manhattan already? Nah...I rather doubt it.

So I asked him, "Maganda ba ang crush mo?"

"Ummaapaw sa ganda," was this four-year-old's reply. In Bisaya, perteng gwapaha, so he said.

Friends would ask me about this nephew. I would say, he's gwapo, matalino...at malakas. They would laugh at the last descriptive adjective. "Why malakas, Cor?" 'Cause when he was about a year old, I saw him push our heavy iron gate closed and not a lot of toddlers even older than that could do it. At that age even, he would pump water from the artesian well we had at home so that the cleaning ladies would have water to wash the laundry. It was so funny. I wryly thought to myself that this kid is going to develop abs before he's old enough to go to the gym. Haha! He doesn't perform his feats often though.

After New Year's, when I was all set to leave and come back here in Manila, he asked me, "Tita Cor, kanus-a ka balik?" (When are you coming back?)

"After three tawsand days," I answered, mimicking his spin on the word thousand.

He gave a plaintive, "Nah...Dugay pa." (Nah...tagal pa.)

Anyway, I miss my nephews! See you soon!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

conceit and humility :)

random misadventures